Specialist skills for insurance brokers and underwriters
Why this? Negotiating is such a key part of an insurance professional’s role and yet very often brokers and underwriters receive little training on how to handle this crucial part of the sales process. This means that they can roll over too quickly when they’re faced with push back and end up writing business that is not as profitable as it could have been, if they’d had some effective strategies and skills.
What is this? This interactive and practical 4 hour session will address some of the typical challenges faced by brokers and underwriters in an increasingly hard market. The session has been tailored for an number of different audiences with specialist case studies.
By the end of this session participants will be able to:
- Prepare so that common mistakes can be easily avoided
- Respond appropriately when faced with pushback or stand off.
- Explain the 5 principles of negotiation
- Flex their style so that they can build stronger relationships with key underwriters and or brokers
What will we cover?
- Common mistakes and how to avoid them
- Must-do preparation to help you succeed (and think on your feet quickly should you find yourself in a sticky or stand-off situation)
- Dealing with push back – 5 ways to handle it
- How you can increase your power and leverage
- 5 principles of effective negotiation
- What to do when they won’t budge? 5 phrases that can help
- Building relationships with challenging underwriters and/or brokers
How long is it? 2 hours
Who is running it? Melissa Kidd, Director of Motem Ltd which specialises in helping insurance professionals to communicate more effectively. She’s worked with the CII since 2012 as well as Zurich, Allianz, Marsh, NIG, Lycetts, Broker Network, BIBA and Higos to name a few.
Who has attended this?
“The “Negotiation Skills for Brokers” session was excellent – it was tailored to our audience’s needs, very relevant and engaging. The scores: 70% rated it very highly. Melissa’s training sessions have been well received across our membership because she understands the industry well, appreciates how people learn and can clearly communicate.”
Head of Member Support |Training Academy, Broker Network